Machado's five-game ban upheld
Updated On: Jun 30 2014 06:23:13 PM CDT
Manny Machado's five-game suspension for a bat-throwing incident earlier this month was upheld Monday, and the Orioles third baseman started serving the punishment immediately.
Machado last week appealed the suspension of the June 8 incident that happened against Oakland. The hearing took place in Baltimore, and the Orioles were hoping some of it would be taken off. But that didn't happen, something that left the third baseman frustrated before Monday's game.
"It was very disappointing for me," Machado said. "I'm not going to sit here and smile about it and be excited to be [out] five games. Just go about it, put it behind us and ... serve the five games."
The Orioles can't replace Machado on the roster during the five games, four of which come at home against Texas. He is eligible to return next Saturday, the second game of Baltimore's series in Boston.
Manager Buck Showalter also expressed some concerns but also realized the club took its best shot, and now the incident is finished.
"It is what it is," Showalter said. "I'm not going to dwell on it. I know it's frustrating for him. I talked to him today."
Showalter said the Orioles have been told Machado can do everything with the team until game time, and then he must be out of the locker room.
In the end, Machado clearly was a bit mystified about the fact that the punishment didn't get cut down in some form.
"I didn't throw the bat at the pitcher," Machado said. "I didn't harm anybody. I didn't charge the mound. I didn't get in a fight. But it is what it is. Now I've got to serve the five games and we're going to be down a man, and I'm not going to be able to help my team win."
Machado is batting .239 with seven home runs and 17 RBIs this season.
Distributed by Internet Broadcasting and The Sports Xchange. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.