Idaho Falls
60° F
Partly Cloudy
Partly Cloudy

Woman who drank toxic tea released from hospital

Published On: Aug 25 2014 12:17:51 PM CDT
Updated On: Aug 25 2014 06:59:01 PM CDT
Dickey's Barbecue Pit

Dickey's Barbecue Pit in South Jordan, Utah.


A Utah woman who nearly died after unknowingly drinking iced tea mixed with chemicals has been released from a Salt Lake City hospital.

University of Utah Health Care spokeswoman Marissa Villasenor confirmed Sunday that 67-year-old Jan Harding was released Saturday morning.

Harding has been slowly improving since Aug. 10, when she drank a single sip of sweetened iced tea at Dickey's Barbecue in South Jordan, a Salt Lake City suburb.

Family attorney Paxton Guymon has said an industrial cleaning solution mixed into the tea caused deep, ulcerated burns in Harding's esophagus.

Authorities have said a restaurant employee unintentionally put the heavy-duty cleaner in a sugar bag, and a worker later mistakenly mixed it into the iced tea dispenser.

Salt Lake County prosecutors have not announced whether charges will be filed.