Idaho Falls police caution trick-or-treaters to stay safe this Halloween
Updated On: Oct 31 2013 07:04:39 PM CDT
Halloween is here, but while the kids are focused on costumes and candy, Idaho Falls police say parents should have safety in mind.
They have eight simple tips families can follow to keep children safe this Halloween:
1. First and foremost, parents should accompany their children and carry a flashlight for safety and visibility.
2. Have children wear costumes that are bright and reflective. Make sure shoes fit well and costumes are short enough to prevent tripping.
3. Consider adding reflective tape or striping to costumes and trick-or-treat bags for greater visibility.
4. Avoid using simulated knives, guns or swords. If such props are used, be certain they do not appear authentic or are soft and flexible to prevent injury.
5. Always walk. Never run across a street.
6. Confine, segregate or otherwise prepare household pets for an evening of frightful sights and sounds. Be sure that all dogs and cats are wearing collars and proper identification tags.
7. Motorists should remain cautious and drive slowly. Adult party-goers should have a designated driver.
8. Law enforcement authorities should be notified immediately of any suspicious or unlawful activity.
Local News 8 also asked our viewers for some of their own Halloween safety tips. You can join the conversation on our Facebook page.
Copyright 2013 NPG of Idaho. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.