A new research building under construction on University Boulevard in Idaho Falls was evacuated Tuesday afternoon.
A 55-gallon drum of sulfuric acid was being moved when a hole was ripped into the bottom. Most of the acid leaked in an area below the basement level of the building, so a Hazmat team blocked off all water drains.
If the material comes into contact with water, it makes lethal fumes.
So far, none of the city's water has been contaminated.
The Hazmat team only can contain the acid, so they were waiting for a contractor to clean it up.
They also had to shut off the power to the building so the sump pump wouldn't automatically kick in.
One worker's arm was splashed with the acid and had to be taken to Eastern Idaho Medical Center to treat some burns that were not life-threatening.