Idaho Falls
80° F
Smoke
Smoke

Thawing water pipe sparks house fire

Published On: Jan 12 2013 03:40:34 PM CST
Updated On: Jan 12 2013 07:25:07 PM CST

Thawing water pipe sparks house fire

IDAHO FALLS, Idaho -

A single story home was engulfed in flames Saturday morning.

Firefighters responded to 493 E. 97 S. at around 10 a.m.

Crews had to spray water through the windows of the house, because it was too difficult to get inside.  Below zero temperatures caused fire engine gauges and firefighters' equipment to freeze, making the effort more difficult, according to Division Chief Brad Pettingill from the Idaho Falls Fire Department.

It took more than two hours to put the fire out.

Everyone inside the home when the fire started got outside safely.

Investigators say the fire started because the individuals inside the home were using a weed burner to thaw a frozen water pipe in a crawl space.

Advertisement