Idaho Falls
64° F
Clear
Clear

Red Cross helps Shelley fire victims

By Staff Writer
Published On: Nov 02 2012 04:39:29 PM CDT
Updated On: Nov 02 2012 04:58:11 PM CDT
SHELLEY, Idaho -

Fire caused extensive damage to a home in the 1,000 block of 1400 North in Shelley on Thursday.

Shelley Fire Chief Mike Carter said the fire appeared to have started when a downstairs electrical outlet overheated and ignited a pile of newspapers.  He said the fire apparently smoldered for several hours before a family member came home from school and discovered it around 3:30 pm.

The American Red Cross of Greater Idaho responded Friday to help the family of two adults and four children. Caseworkers provided them with funds for food, clothing and seasonal coats, as well as four nights in a local hotel.

Advertisement