Idaho Falls
35° F
Overcast
Overcast

‘Big ball of fire’ prompts evacuations in Dubois

Published On: Jun 19 2012 04:48:33 PM CDT
Updated On: Jun 19 2012 05:38:01 PM CDT

A heat lamp inside a chicken coop likely started a fire that then engulfed the propane tank and garage and damaged a house in Dubois early Tuesday.

DUBOIS, Idaho -

Nearby homes were evacuated early Tuesday morning when “a big ball of fire” ignited near a house at 459 S. Oakley St., the Clark County Sheriff’s Office said.

The sheriff’s office, Clark County Fire Department and ambulance crews responded at about 1:45 a.m. The sheriff’s office said it appeared a heat lamp inside a chicken coop had started on fire and then engulfed the propane tank and garage.

Those in the house belonging to Teruaki Moronuki were able to evacuate safety, though two dogs and eight chickens were killed in the blaze. Nearby homes were evacuated until the fire was under control.

The fire resulted in a total loss of the garage, as well as rafters, the living room and kitchen area.

Advertisement