Fort Hall evacuation traced to propane bottles
Updated On: Feb 20 2013 10:29:28 AM CST
The Fort Hall Fire Department evacuated the TP Gas and Convenience Store on Tuesday after a suspected gas leak was detected. The store is at Exit 80 off Interstate 15.
Tribal spokesperson Randy L'Teton said the leak was discovered at 11:41 a.m. and the building and surrounding area evacuated about 10 minutes later.
Intermountain Gas shut off the natural gas line to the area at 12:39 p.m. Fort Hall fire and police departments established a safe perimeter around the store while the leak was being repaired.
Angelo Gonzales, executive director of the Shoshone-Bannock tribes, said that as of 1:10 p.m., the situation was under control.
Intermountain Gas spokesman Byron Defenbach said Wednesday the event was not a natural gas leak. He said the situation was traced to odor from some empty propane bottles.
Copyright 2013 NPG of Idaho. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.